Monday, February 18, 2019

how to be supportive of someone with chronic illness

I thought this was an important post to make in light of recent events I've experienced.

A lot of people don't understand chronic illness. Your own family probably won't, which is extremely disappointing. Friends can alienate you, you feel isolated, and what makes it even worse is when people say the wrong things.

Family, friends, coworkers, acquaintances, and people who know or meet anyone with a chronic illness, here is a short post detailing some of the things you should and should not say to someone suffering.


Do say:

"I'm sorry you are dealing with that [symptom]."

"I don't understand but I sympathize."

"That sounds very frustrating/difficult."


Do NOT say:

"That doesn't sound right." (When they mention an unusual symptom)

"What does your doctor say about that?"

"Are you sure that's what's going on?"

"Have you tried [diet/exercise/lifestyle tip]?"

"Yeah, I feel tired all the time too."

"You're just getting old."


And the number one thing you should NOT say in any form to a chronically ill person...

"I don't believe you."

No comments:

Post a Comment